Saturday, February 16, 2008

Good V. Bad

Are the 'rescue' team good or bad?
Are the 'others' good or bad?
Ben?
Locke?
Rousseau?

It's getting difficult to tell....

Something interesting to me is the fact that John Locke is also the name of a 17th century political philosopher., often referred to as the "philospher of freedom."

JL the philosopher worked closely with Anthony Cooper, a politician (also JL father's name in Lost) and helped to save his life from a liver infection (As JL saved his father with his kidney).

Jean -Jaques Rousseau is also the name of an influential 18th Century Philospher, with ideas similar to Lockes. Rousseau believed that people were born 'good' and that society and experiences and teaching are what corrupt people.

Both Lockes & Rousseau's political writings influenced the French (& American) Revolution.
So, I guess it all depends which side you are on when it comes to figuring out who is "good" and who is "bad".

In the end, I believe that everyone is good and believes that they are doing what is right and are doing what they feel is necessary for survival.

Kinda like real life.

11 comments:

Benny said...

It blows my MIND! I think I remember reading that Desmond's name had a back story too... I'll have to look it up.

runner52 said...

Wow, Are you guys my kids??? I am not even sure what you said.

Leah said...

Yeah-that's the kinda stuff I learned about in college. Finally 10 yrs later & it's coming in handy.I guess I don't feel so bad about the $10K I still owe in student loans, now that it is serving a purpose.

Rae said...

Im your kid mom... i dont get it either..and i cant spell. Do you feel better? At least you have 1 stupid child :)

Benny said...

Did you just call my mother stupid?

Anonymous said...

Well there must be something to this name thing because my friend vince was telling me about this Charlotte STAPLES Lewis. (Pretty odd middle name for a woman, huh?). Anyways, my friend Vince was telling me that Clive Staples Lewis wrote the Chronicles of Narnia. Apparently, in this guys second book kids are playing in the water while being approached by natives and things take a turn for the worse. And there is also something with Michael Faraday I guess that name is the name of a really old English physicist as well.

Anonymous said...

Now that I think about it; Staples is a really odd middle name for anyone

Rae said...

Ben, No i called my self stupid.. stop trying to kiss butt... YOUR NOT THE FAVORITE ANY MORE!!!! OK... just give me a turn. gesh

Young Grasshoper said...

Another reoccuring theme is Faith vs. Science. It seems like those who have faith in the island are those who are "rewarded" by it (i.e. John being able to walk, Rose's cancer, or whatever disease she had, etc). Those who question the island (Science) are "punished" by it. One theory of an example of this, which was thought of by either Chris or AJ--I don't remember who, is that Ben developed a tumor b/c he lost faith in the island.

Also, the Oceanic 6 lost faith in the island and wanted to leave. Based on the flash fowards, they are all being severely punished and are very fearful (Hurley in a mental institution, Syed is killing, Jack is an alcoholic, etc). Maybe they found faith after leaving the island and it was too late. And that is why they want to go back.

Leah said...

Danielle-that all makes so much sense!

It all sounds very spiritual to me. Sometimes I feel like the show is just an amplification and overexaggeration of plain old LIFE.

Leah said...

Chris-Staples is an odd name. Boone too. Also, Henry Gale (Ben's fake name) is the uncle from the Wizard of Oz..