Thursday, February 21, 2008

Forgive me but...

"Forgive me but the day I start trusting him is the day I would have sold my soul."

That is what Sayid said to Locke about Ben when they were in the Barracks after Locke took Sayid prisoner. Now that we know that Sayid does eventually trust Ben... enough to kill for him; Does that mean that Sayid "sells his soul" eventually? And who is it that you sell your soul to? Usually, the devil. Does that mean that Ben is the devil? Since his main strength is that he can manipulate people with his words, like the devil does in the Bible, it would make a lot of sense...

Why does the bad guy have to have such a great name?

5 comments:

Leah said...

And maybe Jacob is God? That could be why not everyone can see "Him" or hear him. Also, Ben seems to be rebelling against Jacob, just as Satan (the fallen angel) rebelled against God & Heaven.

Leah said...

I don't know what this means, but in the Bible-Benjamin's mother died while giving birth to him, just like Benjamins Linus' mother did.

Benjamins fathers name was Jacob. Jacob had 12 sons-a favorite (Joseph) who he thought was dead, because his brothers sold him out of jealousy. He later learned that he was alive.

Maybe Jacob is Lockes father too? His mother told him that he was immaculately concieved.

{Once again, I'm impressed by my liberal arts education & memory & no longer feel that the all nighters & student loans were all a complete waste}

runner52 said...

Leah, I do not think Ben is the devil, but Jacob could be God. Ben was working with Jacob and doing what he told him to do. Until Locke, I think he was the only one that could hear him. I think he is spooked because now someone else can hear him, which makes him special- just the same way we would be if we spoke to God and someone else came along and heard him.

Leah said...

Mom-Satan used to work with God & listen to him too-he was once an angel.Therefore-I think that BEN is LUCIFER (not my brother..but Benjamin Linus) at least symbolically

runner52 said...

I have a feeling that Ben is going to turn out to be a good guy