Monday, May 24, 2010

Series Finale Recap.. initial thoughts

Sarah and I met a couple of friends at a local movie theater to watch the finale on the big screen.. It was a full house, the news was there.. it was a night to remember.

My initial thoughts on the end are that... it was perfect! It's exactly what I was hoping for from this episode. It turns out they were dead the whole time.. all of their struggles to get off the island.. perhaps even MIB's struggle to get off the island, were futile attempts to return to their lives.. or to the previous "level" of life. All they had to do the whole time was "let go...." What ever happened, happened.. there IS no changing it... The very end with jack closing his eye was absolutely perfect. His opening eye and closing eye acting like bookends to the entire series. Just brilliant.

Alright, I've had a few beers tonight and I need to sleep on this, so I'll reserve my more in depth analysis for tomorrow or later in the week.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree i thought it was a great ending.

I'm still not sure they were really dead the whole time (I'm probably just in denial). I'm guessing the confirmation that they have been dead the whole time was the final shot of the original plane crash. The only reason I'm not onboard 100% with this is because in one of the final scenes, Jack's dad tells him that basically the fake universe was assembled of all the most important people in his life. If he died during the original plane crash then he didn't really know those people. They were just fellow passengers.

Or are we saying they didn't die in the original plane crash, just at times throughout the island?

All in all, aside from Jack jumping down the mountain in slow motion, Rocky esque punching stance towards Locke I thought it was brilliant.

I especially enjoyed each character's special moment that brought everythinhg to light:

1. Sayid seeing Shannon
2. Juliet talking with Sawyer
3. Jack seeing his dad's coffin
4. Kate seeing Claire's vagina.

Benny said...

LOL! I was thinking the same thing.. Kate looked at Claire's vagina and saw the light!

Benny said...

I've talked to a couple of people who don't think they were dead on the island.. I still think they were. How else do you explain all of the supernatural stuff? It think the island was an in-between place where you go if you aren't ready to "let go" yet... not purgatory, but just a "staging area" where you work out your demons.

I still have to think about it.. def gonna have to watch it all over again at some point to really understand it.

Benny said...

Maybe his time spent with these people was the most important time in his life because this was the time that he left behind his old baggage and was finally able to move on.. I think in buddhism, you are only able to move on to the next level of reincarnation after you've worked out all your shit in your current level.

happileah said...

Perfect Finale!

After this, I thought it was clear that they were alive on the island all this time and like Christian said, they all died at different times and were waiting for each other to move on together. Which would make sense since Boone was the 1st to die, back in season 1-and when he caught up to Hurley in the finale, he said "took you long enough..."

I suppose they were all soulmates or something, which is why they needed to be together to move on, evolve, wake up, become enlightend, redeemed,etc.

There are defintely questions that weren't answered, but in the big picture and with this ending,-those don't really matter to me as much as I expected them to.

I'm gonna go for a jog, I see the light when I run.

Anonymous said...

Basically as I see it all the island/supernatural stuff was real (I mean as real as that stuff can be).

I believe the timeline or series of events would be something like this:

- Jack dies and goes into purgatory/holding cell waiting to go to the next level.
- We assume this next level (Flash Sideways) is a few days or a couple weeks.
- That entire time could be hundreds, if not thousands of years. When Jack asked Christian if everyone is here now he responded with "There is no now.... here".
- As Jack was trying to put everything together in purgatory/holding cell Hurley and Ben were living as Jacob/Richard on the island, Kate, Sawyer, Miles and co got off the island and resumed their real lives.
- Eventually they all died and during that time Jack finally was able to "let go" as Rose told him to do in the Season Premiere of Season 6 on the flight from Sidney (thanks Kimmel).
- Thats would explain how some people died after Jack but was there.
- They were all waiting to go to heaven.

Interesting that Ben didn't go in to the church. I do not think he can go into the church because he can't go to heaven. His sin was killing Locke (which he apologized for) and therefore must spent eternity in Purgatory (or even hell, who knows).

runner52 said...

I absolutely stand firm that they were alive on the island. Jack's Father told him the sideways life was a place they could all gather to find each other again because they were the most important people in each others lives. Important because of what they went through together.

When Juliet sent off the bomb, they all died and created the sideways life. They just didn't know they were dead yet. I think Hurley and Desmond were some sort of Angels meant to gather them all together. They were just waiting for Jack, he was the last one.

I think the island was real and basically just an island, not heaven or purgatory, etc. I also think they were all alive on the island.


Chris and Leah, I agree with your points of view..

Benny said...

If the island was a real place.. and they were all just crash survivors on the island, how do you explain the fact that they survived the nuke?

What I take from the show is that they all died in the plane crash. But since they all had baggage from their previous life, they couldn't move on to the next life until they sorted it out on the island. (I think this show is more about reincarnation than heaven/purgatory).

Only when they sort out their problems (sins) are they able to let go and move on to the next life..

All the island is, is a symbol for eternal life. "Every man is born with some of the light, but they always want more." Once you realize you can't have more.. you can let go..

Young Grasshoper said...

So Boone, Shannon, and everyone else who died on the island had sorted things out and moved onto the next life? What about people who were just killed during an attack or something?

And I still don't understand the flashes (front, back or sideways). How do they come into play while the characters deal with their issues on the island? if they were just waiting for Jack, why were some of them aware of their island life and some not?

And what about the group that flew off the island as Jack was dying/moving on?

I am so confused...

I need to watch it again for sure. I need it to make sense-in it's own Lost way, of course.

I think I really enjoyed the episode...?

Anonymous said...

How did they survive the nuke? Great question. I don't think I have an answer for that one. I mean maybe you could say they survived it in the same way Jack survived being blown up from dynamite and all the other "mysteries" of the island.

So if I'm going with this theory that they died on the original crash, then why have this "Flash Sideways" at all? My point is, why did they have to meet in the church to "move on", you would think they would have just done it on the island. I dunno.

And Jonathan said you were interview on the news last night. Got a link to this?

Anonymous said...

I thought I left this comment but dont see it anywhere on here so I will type it again.

D, this is my theory to your question about "And what about the group that flew off the island as Jack was dying/moving on?"

- Jack died on the island
- Sawyer, Kate and co fly off the island to resume their normal lives.
- Hurley and Ben remain on the island to rule as Jacob/Richard did (they could rule for 100's if not 1,000 of years, who knows).
- I think Kate, Sawyer, Miles and all them just die later in life (old age, whatever).
- While all of this is going on, Jack is still searcing to Let Go. To us we thought this was a few days or a few weeks but it could have been 1,000 years.
- That is why Christian told him "some died before you, some died long after". Those that died before: Boone, Libby, etc. Those that died after: Kate, Sawyer, Hurley
- I also think Ben didnt go into the church because he cant. the church equals going to heaven and ben cant go because he killed Locke (which he apologized for).

Parrish said...

First of all I loved the final show. It was simple, elegant, emotional, and it brought back some of my favorite characters.

So here's my problem...
The very first season someone on the boards or something mentioned that it was purgatory, that rumor went round and round and the Deamond and Carlton said NO, it was NOT purgatory. That ended the rumor.

So what the hell was it then? Sure seemed like purgatory to me? A limbo between the dead and the living is exactly what they were experiencing.

Brandon Houlihan said...

I think this was a great episode of television in general, but I'm not sure it was a great episode of LOST. There are a few things I really don't understand.

The Bomb:

Christian says that Jack spent the most important time of his LIFE on the island with the other LOSTies. I took that as they all survived the flight 815 crash and have been alive on the island ever since.

If that's the case than WTF happened at the end of season 5 with the bomb? There is no way they all survived that explosion. And if they survived, the alternate reality that was created from the explosion would have served no purpose at the time because they were all still alive.........

This is the same reason I believe they were alive on the island. Hear me out.

If they were dead since than crash than the alternate reality would still serve no purpose because the island would be the place were they were trying to “let go”. I always thought that was implied anyway. Locke, Jack, Hurley, they have all been trying to “let go” of their issues since the very first episode. This has always been their struggle, the island was ALWAYS said to be the place that your past didn’t matter and you could move on with your life. Isn’t the island the “alternate reality”?

Old School LOST:

I'm really sad that some of the original story lines and characters essentially had nothing to do with the way the show ended.

"You must raise Aaron"? The writers originally made it sound like if someone besides Claire raised Aaron the world would end. The only purpose Aaron ended up having was getting Charlie and Kate to "remember" the island.

Does anyone else think that the writers took Walt’s character and turned it into Desmond? Remember how Walt had crazy electro magnetic properties?

I don’t mean to complain; I’ll take any episode of LOST over any other show or movie. I think my biggest problem is that I really don’t understand the finale.

LOST I miss you so much already =(

Benny said...

One thing that I just want to throw into the mix is this: Why do we assume the nuke caused the flash-sideways world to come into existence? It probably existed all along..

The nuke just DIDN'T WORK because the nuke was a symbol of the Losties still not being able to let go.. they were still trying to make things right. So forget about the nuke altogether.. its the same as the raft, the sub.. and all the other attempts to leave the island.

The only reason we associate the nuke with the Flash sideways world is because of editing.. there's nothing else connecting the two.

I still think they were dead on the island.. the island was "pre-letting go" place for them to sort out their problems and accept death. The flash sideways world was a "post-letting go" place for them to gather, to move on to the next thing.

happileah said...

If they were dead on the island, then how did they get rescued and go back to the island? Or what was the significance of it.

Along the lines of what Parrish said, I do think that they started out the series with the island being purgatory; but once it was figured out by fans, they switched it up.

runner52 said...

I have the exact same theory as Chris's last comment. Exactly, kinda wierd, we really think alike.

Also Brandon had a good point in saying "If they were dead since the crash than the alternate reality would still serve no purpose because the island would be the place were they were trying to “let go”.

Another thing I have been waiting to see if anyone commented on is the fact that Juliet was not on the plane. They met her later on the Island when they were alive. She was in the church with all of them so they couldn't have died in the original crash.

Young Grasshoper said...

And why was Penny at the church? She was not really apart of the island life...?

runner52 said...

I think Pennty was there because they created a place where they can meet up with all their loved ones and Penny is Desmonds loved one. They met up with the most important perople of their lives when they died.