Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Episode Recap – "Across the Sea"



After talking with some of my coworkers this morning, it seems this episode has people divided. Some loved it.. some thought it was a distraction from the real story. I thought it was one of the most important episodes yet because it went a long way in explaining the "mythology" behind the series. It helped us get closer to answering the question, "What IS the island?" We know the origin of the wheel. And of course, we now know the identities of the skeletons dubbed Adam and Eve.

Here's probably the most important scene from the episode:
Mother explains she is taking them to someplace that only she can show them. The Boy in Black asks if she knew about the men, and Mother says yes. She didn't tell the boys because the men are dangerous and she didn't want to frighten them. Jacob asks what makes the men dangerous, and Mother says the same thing that makes all men dangerous. They come, they fight, they destroy, they corrupt. And it always ends the same. The Boy in Black picks up on something and asks where they "come" from. Mother quickly says another part of the island. And she warns the boys to never go looking for them because the men will hurt them. Jacob asks why, and Mother says because they're people and that's what people do. The Boy in Black says they're people, so does that mean they can hurt each other? Mother stops, and we can see the pain in her face. She gently pulls their blindfolds off and says no, she's made it so they can never hurt each other.

The boys look past her and see something amazing. They ask what this place is, and Mother says it's the reason they're here. They are standing at a pristine part of the island, a stream shrouded in darkness from the trees surrounding it. The stream flows into a small opening underground and cascades over a waterfall into a crevice. And from inside the crevice rises a pure white light. The light creates a sense that something exceptional and special lies beneath the waterfall deep in the earth.

Mother holds the boys back from stepping into the water. Jacob seems a little confused, maybe even scared, but his brother is fascinated. Almost hypnotized. He asks what's down there, and Mother tells him, with quiet reverence, light. The warmest, brightest light they have ever seen or felt. And they must make sure no one ever finds it. The Boy in Black says it's beautiful, and Mother says yes, it is. That's why they want it. A little bit of the light is in every man, and they always want more. Jacob is afraid and asks if the men can take it. Mother says no, but they will try. And if they try, they could put it out. If the light goes out here, it goes out everywhere. So Mother has protected this place but she can't protect it forever. The Boy in Black asks then who will, and Mother says it will have to be one of them.

Do we all agree that the light represents life, or the source of life? If so, why did MIB turn into the black smoke when he went into the light?

Here's the official recap from ABC:
  • Claudia washes up on the island, shipwrecked and very pregnant
  • Mother helps her give birth to twin boys
  • Mother kills Claudia and raises the boys as her own
  • Mother tells Jacob and the Boy in Black the island is the only place in the world
  • A 13-year-old Boy in Black finds a senet game and teaches a 13-year-old Jacob how to play it
  • Hunting boar, Jacob and his brother discover other people living on the island
  • Claudia appears to the Boy in Black and tells him she is his mother and the other people on the island are his people who shipwrecked there
  • The Boy in Black leaves to go live with his people and find a way off the island
  • 30 years later, Jacob discovers the Man in Black and his people are digging wells trying to find a way to leave
  • Mother knocks the Man in Black unconscious and kills all the people in his village
  • Mother performs a ceremony and Jacob becomes the protector of the island
  • The Man in Black regains consciousness, sees what Mother did, and kills her
  • Jacob throws the Man in Black into the heart of the island and creates the smoke monster
  • Jacob leaves the bodies of his mother and his brother in the caves

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am divided on this episoide. I do think it was a really good episode but my problem is that we could have (and should have) seen this 4 or 5 weeks ago. With only 3 episodes left, we should be finalizing all of the storylines of the "main" characters so to have the 3rd to last episode not show any of our people was kinda disappointing.

With that said, here are my obervations from last night:

1. Good thing their new mom had those different color blankets so we could identify who was who? And damn, for just being born Jacob was remarkably quiet and well behaved.
2. Why the hell can't we know MIB's name? I don't buy that it is someone we already know because what difference would that make? He is now Locke and everyone still calls him Locke.
3. Their fake mother never aged. Is that why she actually thanks Smokey for killing her? And is that why Jacob and MIB did a great job of aging from birth until like 40 and then once Jacob drank Love Potion #9 and Smokey got thrown into the Chocolate Factory River, they didn't age?
4. They kept saying "mother made it so we cant kill eachother". HOW? WHY? and again, HOW? Nobody wants to ask these things?
5. And I now think the theory that Sayid was Jacob is no longer true. From last night, he didn't "take over" the island until he drank that wine or whatever. His mother then said "Now we are the same". So I'm guessing that someone has to drink that in order to become the next Jacob/protecter of the island. Question I dont remember - didn't someone (MIB maybe) break that glass a few episodes ago?

I think at this point we have to accept we will never know how or why these "rules" came about, they just were. ARRRRGGH

And lastly, the most diappointing thing for me last night was the extremely cheesy editing to illustrate the Adam and Eve characters. Why the hell did they do that? They have never done that in the show and anyone watching has been waiting to find out who Adam and Even were. As soon as Jacob laid them down and put the stones in their hands it would have been obvious.

So as I said earlier, I actually liked the episode (for informational purposes) but we could have seen that awhile ago and still been ok.

Benny said...

Yeah.. you make good points. Especially about the cheesy editing. That was totally unnecessary.

MIB did break the bottle at the end of "Ab Aeterno"

I dont know.. I think the Sayid theory is still feasible because technically, MIB is the one who killed Jacob.. which is against the rules. So maybe if the rules are broken, like when Jacob threw MIB into the heart of the island, their body's die, but their souls remain... until they assume the identity of a dead person. In the case of MIB, he assumed his own identity. Maybe Jacob chose Sayid because his own body was burned beyond recognition?

Here's a really good recap of this episode: http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/12/tv-recap-no-easy-answers-on-lost/?hpt=Sbin

Young Grasshoper said...

Chris-I love your humorous takes on the show (Love Potion #9 and Chocolate Factory River)

My thoughts:
Just when my rational brain surrenders to something ridiculous on the show (i.e. Smoke monsters and such) they have to top it with something even more wacky- the Cave of Wonders with a yellow light that must be protected?!?!? I am trying here. I really am.

After all this time we can finally empathize with MIB-he was just a truth seeker who wanted to know where he came from. Besides killing his adoptiVe mother(who lied to him and held him captive on the island) he wasn't "evil" until Jacob did the bad thing and pushed him into the light. So who really was good or bad?

I actually liked the flashes to the Losties finding the rocks/skeletons. It was a great dipiction of how far they have come as characters and how far we have come as the audience.

I agree with Chris-good episode, but at this point I don't think they should be posing more questions, and I missed our peeps.

Brandon Houlihan said...

I agree that if you wanted to see the Losties this episode might have been a let down. One thing to keep in mind is that the series finale is going to be 2 1/2 hours of show, so hopefully that will make up some time with the Losties. Here are some of my thoughts on the epi and some questions.

1. This episode needed to happen, it was essential. The fact that Jacob and MIB being born on the was really cool for me.

2. I'm guessing that that whoever takes Jacob's place will need to drink Love Potion #9 before they become the caretaker of the island. Is there any left somewhere?

3. I think MIB actually died and when his body washed into the cave it released the smoke monster that was being held down by the light.

4. The Adam and Eve flashbacks might have been corny but it felt so good to have that put to rest! And I love seeing things connect back to the first season, it makes me sentimental.

5. I'm pretty sure that episode is the last we will hear about island mythology. We need to accept the information that was given to us and go with it.

Overall I LOVED this episode. I like episodes like this that are kind of unexpected. Two left, I can't believe it, so pumped and so sad.

Unknown said...

Jacob & MIB is Jacob & Esau? Now that Adam & Eve are being thrown around, is the 'magical light' the MIB floated into the same as the 'forbidden fruit'?

Am I way off?

runner52 said...

I thought the light represented life on earth. That's why there aren't babies born on the island anymore, because they are sent to earth to be born, which brings us back to.... Is this heaven? The Mother described the light as birth, death and rebirth.

The MIB described the people as evil just because they were acting like people. Selfish untrustworthy, etc. They were supposed to be better than people. Are they Angels?

I do think Sayid was Jacob because he told Jack when he ran with the bomb that "he was the one" Only Jacob would know that and say that.


I am a little disappointed that there really isn't an explanation of why Jacob is trying to keep everyone on the island. I thought there would be a better reason than just because his Mother told him to.

Also confusing is the smoke coming out of the light and the brother being dead. We know he talks to Jacob while in his own body.

For me, it cleared up some things. I wasn't sure about the good vs evil guys. It seems that they are not good or evil, but the brother is somehow special. We thought all along that Jacob was the special one. Although the Mother did say at the end that it was him all along so back to being confused.

Last but not least.... What the heck is the brother's name? Who is he???

Benny said...

Taking with Naoshi ("nu," above) he enlightened me about Esau. He and Jacob were fraternal twins in the Bible. Look it up. That's prob not the whole story, but it is an interesting coincidence.

happileah said...

I loved this episode!

One recurring theme I noticed:

One brother (Jacob) followed the rules religiously and represents FATE & is a man of FAITH. He just believed the rules, blindly; even in the face of the truth (the village of people), he still believed his mother.

The other brother is a truth seeker and represents FREE WILL. He was also a a man of Science, shown by his curiousity of magnetism & the way he dug & built a wheel to get to the light.

When thier mother put the game on the beach, I think she did it to test MIB's free will and Jacob's adherence to 'the rules'.

Anonymous said...

I also think that "Mom" is also a Smoke Monster. I think she knows about that Chocolate Factory River because she has been down there. There is no other explanation for how one woman can destory an entire village and set it on fire other than if she was smoke. That scene was remincent of the scene where the Smokey smoked out the Dharma people.

erica said...

Everyone above has pretty much stated all the things that I am wondering as well. When I watch the episodes it really reminds me of story from the bible but just when I think I am on to something the thought vanishes.
When MIB talks of the village people about how they are greedy ect... it made me think of him (MIB) as a fallen angel from heaven.
I don't like how they have won't tell us who the first person on the island was and how it was found. I really wanted to know that. Just like I wanted to know how the hell they got the Polar bears there. (I can hear Chris hissing right now.) I know it was stupid but I still wanted to know that. And there are a lot of just little things that I wanted to know like that.