That said, I have found a few interesting points. Perhaps I can piece something together that doesn’t come across as total gibberish. Oh, who am I kidding?
The Dharma logo. This is where I got the first a-ha. I’d never really looked at the logo before. And when I did, I realized that it is all of the characters of the Chinese I-Ching, (Ye Jing), or The Chinese Book of Changes.

This ancient book is a symbol system used to identify order in random events. The text describes an ancient system of cosmology and philosophy that is intrinsic to ancient Chinese cultural beliefs. The cosmology centres on the ideas of the dynamic balance of opposites, the evolution of events as a process, and acceptance of the inevitability of change. (Wikipedia)
The Egyptian thang. Because we’ve seen the influence of Egyptian culture on the show, I found this to be of interest: The values of the Hexagrams relate to the cubic year of 8460 hours of a 360 day-year used also by Egyptian, Hebrew, and Sumerian.
The hexagram thang. The I Ching book consists of 64 hexagrams.A hexagram is a figure composed of six stacked horizontal lines, where each line is either Yang (an unbroken, or solid line), or Yin (broken, an open line with a gap in the center). The hexagram lines are traditionally counted from the bottom up, so the lowest line is considered line 1 while the top line is line 6. Usually, two sets of three lines are combined to form one particular reading (divination-wise). I started at the top of the Dharma logo and went clockwise, then pulled the meaning for each of these symbols. Though nothing huge stood out, I found it interesting that the wild swan was mentioned. And that the Dharma logo often has a wild swan in the middle of it. I pulled out some of the most interesting pieces, that may refer to John Locke, and will leave you to it…
In hexagram 53 is the transition of a loose 'yielding' relationship to one of firmness and strength. The penetrating wind restrained. (directed). In the image, by emphasizing one's mental powers it is hoped that this influences the common people and encourages them to better themselves. This does not occur overnight, maturing takes time. Contextually, we combine correct order and completion with modesty and evenness giving gradual development; maturing. (May tie in to the fact that some never age on the island?)
(In the traditional text, the spirit mentioned below is symbolized by a wild swan.)
In hexagram 10 one is in a position which requires decorum and the following of the socially 'correct' path. This is not a time for deferring but more of submitting to the situation through a degree of balance (decorum/proper conduct) without moving from one's personal position nor making one's desires apparent; forced reflection whilst we walk in the confines of our environment. (Much like the current state of the crew being “trapped” in the 1970s as Dharma Initiative workers.)
In hexagram 63 we find the successful end of a journey masks the beginning of another. The mask of completion helps memory to distinguish events and some form of guide is useful for the new dangers ahead. (Getting off the island, the crew didn’t realize they would be going back. Is Locke the guide?)
In hexagram 16 resistance can be overcome through enthusiasm and foresight, for one to be eventually accepted. 34 and 20 symbolize the total acceptance of an individual within society such that their mere presence can influence. (Locke was given an almost god-like status on a few occasions…)
In hexagram 18, as hexagram 17 symbolizes a natural degeneration, so hexagram 18 symbolizes degeneration caused by spiritual neglect and the corrections required to fix the problem; the price of too much cultivation. (All four hexagrams,(17,18,27,28) deal with concepts of degeneration and methods of regeneration. (Locke coming back to life?)
Hexagram 43 is a long way from the use of tradition. We need to see inside ourselves to get through this. This can generate what some see as resoluteness and others see as arrogance. This total self development needs to be balanced by opening up to others. This is accomplished by 'spreading the word', analogous to taking cuttings from a plant to use elsewhere.
The symbolism of events on Lost. Because there’s so much crazy stuff going on, and so many things to keep track of, I just found this paragraph to be interesting. The link source follows
The symbolism of the ‘Book of Changes’ is explained in depth, it gives a story of how through the division of the waters (the moon rules the waters) the tyrant of darkness was overcome, as the light/energy rose-up within the Earth (matter) to create all things. The people (parts or forces of nature - demonic pantheon) were then able to inhabit the Promised Land (that was built or rested upon the Sacred Mountain.)
It's all about balance. Since mention has been made to physics, I found this interesting, as I’ve always thought the island has to be in perfect balance (light and dark, Yin and Yang, etc).
The readings of the I Ching contain a creation story in which its maths are linked to the coming of the light through the law of physics. The readings give a means to produce physical movement of the body through its lines of energy or Chi, which we view as psychology (in mind). The union is between the body (matter), and mind (energy), between water and fire, as through the law or will of Heaven all things are balanced in the middle point of observation - the single point of observation is the inner eye or single gate, as all opposite movements of duality. If the balance of created movement is not maintained, as it is not when the middle position is lost to our knowledge, nature swings too far against its opposite sides (sides of the Well - source) and then the vessel breaks apart. The return of the knowledge of the ‘Middle Way’ allow us to find the eternal part of our nature, as then involvement in the conflict of opposite movement is overcome.
http://web.mac.com/paulmartynsmith/iWeb/IChingmath/Home.html
Wow. This is the most disorganized, nonsensical and rambling post I could have written. It's kind of like an episode of Lost.
2 comments:
You just blew my mind. I'm going to have some questions for you tomorrow.
Whoa...I'm kinda speechless.
Excellant post!
Post a Comment