Thursday, February 11, 2010

Episode Recap – "What Kate Does"

Sorry guys. Its been a really busy week for me. Here's the official recap from ABC... I can't believe they actually named the guy "Lennon." There's so much to talk about but I wont be able to comment til this weekend. But lets keep talking! I have a theory on how the series will end. I'll share it this weekend.

Here is your brief recap of "What Kate Does." For the more detailed recap of this episode, click the link at the bottom!

On the island: at the Temple:

  • Dogen and Lennon "test" Sayid and realize he's infected.
  • They give Jack a pill to give Sayid. Jack refuses to give it to him and takes it himself.
  • Dogen forces Jack to spit the pill out and admits it's poison.
  • Dogen is sure Sayid has been claimed by darkness because it also happened to Jack's sister.

On the island: tracking Sawyer:

  • Sawyer leaves the Temple and tells Kate not to come after him.
  • Kate goes after him anyway. Jin goes with her, along with two Others: Aldo and Justin.
  • Kate finds Sawyer at his old house in the barracks. He blames himself for Juliet staying. She was going to leave the island, but he asked her to stay because he didn't want to be alone. He was going to propose to her.
  • On his way back to the Temple, Jin steps into a bear trap while fleeing from Aldo and Justin, who are then shot. The person shooting at them is none other than Claire.

Flash sideways:

  • Kate takes off in the cab and abandons Claire on a city street.
  • She gets the handcuffs cut off and discovers baby items in Claire's suitcase.
  • Feeling guilty, she goes back, picks up Claire and drives her to the adoptive couple's house.
  • The couple can't adopt the baby, and Claire goes into contractions. Kate rushes her to the hospital.
  • Dr. Ethan Goodspeed tends to Claire and gives her a shot to stop the contractions.
  • Claire lies to the police about Kate, giving her a chance to get away.
FULL RECAP HERE

8 comments:

Benny said...

One thing I will say is that this episode should be renamed "You have a choice" There was a reoccurring theme of making a choice and living with the consequences. Jack was forced to choose between giving the pill to Sayid or not. Kate was given the choice to go back and help Claire or not. Claire was given the choice to have the baby now, or later (with drugs)... it all echo's Ben's choice between killing Jacob, or not killing Jacob.

happileah said...

You have a theory on how the show will end? I'm more confused than ever...

I think you're right about the "choice" & "free will" theme going on. That goes along with the 'living between realities' theme. Most people ARE living between 2 realities, the one they WANT and the one they CHOOSE. Or the one they ARE living & the one they percieve themselves to be living.

I go back & forth on who are the 'good' guys & who are the 'bad' guys. It's not clear at all.

I think the show's going to end with a big old "Haha, fooled you, now you're all LOST." But, maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Benny said...

Alright.. I can't wait til the weekend to talk about it. My theory is that Sayid is Jacob now. The "smokey" water is similar to the black smoke of the smoke monster.. but in water. It represents Jacob's "soul." While the smoke monster kills, Jacob heals.

My theory about the end is that the "island" time line will get more and more chaotic until everything just falls apart (Donnie Darko style). At some point, Sayid/Jacob is going to die... And the very last shot of the entire series is going to be of Aaron being born in the hospital in the flash sideways.. insinuating that he's the new "Jacob."

Obviously it's way too soon to make a prediction like that, but I just wanted to get it on the record in case I'm right.

Man, I cant wait to read all of this in like 5 years and laugh at how crazy I sound.

Benny said...

Anyone catch how Miles asked Sayid about the afterlife? does that mean that Miles is a liar? Couldn't he just ask any dead person about it? Or was he testing Sayid to see if he really died?

Also.. Hurley is the new leader. Awesome. Dude.

erica said...

I know this is going to sound corny but Gwenyth Paltrow was in a movie called Sliding Doors. Very similar to what is going on in LOST. Sideways universe all caused when she doesn't get on a train soon enough.

Unknown said...

so i was rewatching the episode and i noticed that Dogen told Jack that Sayid needed to take the pill before the infection spread. so i was thinking about it if the pill was posion are they trying to stop the infection from spreading in Sayid or to others around Sayid?

Also i'm suprised chris hasn't put this up yet but it was noticed that the date on claire's ultrasound from this episode was a month later than the original flight 815 was supposed to land.

Benny said...

holy crap! That is a good observation about the dates.. I didn't realize that.

Anonymous said...

i didnt go "public" with that observation because it was later noted that often the due date is actually printed on the sonogram so it would make sense that it was a month later since Claire went into labor early.