Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Episode Recap - "Ab Aeterno"


The episode title "Ab Aeterno" is Latin for "From the beginning of time."

Man.. what an episode. It's been awhile since we've had a great one like this. The episode starts with Ilana telling everyone about when Jacob visited her in the hospital. He tells her to listen to Ricardus because he'll know what to do. Richard then reveals that he has NO idea what to do.. in fact, he's ready to kill himself, or betray Jacob. It's at this point that Richard tells us something that we've been waiting for..
"You're dead. We're all dead. Every single one of us. And this... all of this? It's not what you think it is. We're not on an island. We never were. We're in hell."
My first thought was, "Did he just say what I think he said? How sure is he? Are the writers playing with us again?" But given the amount of time we have left in the series, there's a good chance that this was a huge reveal. This could be a big part of the puzzle.

At this point, they flashback to Richard riding a horse in the 1860's. He's in the Canary islands and his wife is deathly ill. He ends up killing a doctor to get some life saving medicine for her... but it's too late. She dies before he can reach her.

Interestingly, Richard is given a similar choice later in the episode and tries to kill Jacob whom he thinks is el diablo. He thinks that if he does this, he'll be reunited with his wife.. he made the SAME decision. All you losties know that this is a repeating pattern in the series. People are given a chance to redeem themselves and sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I, for one, found it interesting that when Richard DIDN'T redeem himself, he was given the gift of eternal life by Jacob.. Other's who did redeem themselves, notibly Mr Echo, Boon, Locke, all died. So maybe this IS hell and Jacob IS the devil?

After Jacob subdues Richard and virtually "baptizes" him in the ocean water, we are treated to this bit of dialog, which I shall deem, "The Golden Minute" of the series thus far:

At a fire, Alpert sits wrapped in a blanket, warming himself. Jacob comes out of the statue with a bottle of wine. Alpert asks what's inside the statue, and Jacob says no one goes in unless he invites them. Alpert asks if Jacob is the devil, and Jacob says no. He explains who he is and that he brought Alpert's ship to the island. Jacob says to think of the wine as what he would call "hell." There are other words for it, too. Malevolence. Evil. Darkness. And it's there swirling around in the bottle unable to get out. Because if it did, it would spread. Now think of the cork as the island, and it's the only thing keeping hell where it belongs. The Man who sent Alpert to kill Jacob believes any person can be corrupted because it's their nature to sin. So Jacob brings people to the island to prove him wrong. When they get here, their past doesn't matter. The island washes away their sins, and they get a second chance. But the Man has killed everyone that's come. Alpert asks if Jacob brought them there, then why didn't he help them? Jacob says because he wants them to help themselves, to know the differences between right and wrong without him telling them. Alpert says if he doesn't step in, then the Man in Black will. Jacob nods, and then gets an idea. He looks at Alpert and asks if he wants a job. If Jacob doesn't want to step in, maybe Alpert can do it for him. He can be Jacob's representative, an intermediary between Jacob and the people he brings to the island. Alpert asks what he'll get in return -- he wants his wife back. Jacob says he can't do that. Alpert asks if he can absolve him of his sins so he doesn't go to hell, but Jacob can't do that either. Then Alpert says he never wants to die. He wants to live forever. Jacob reaches out and touches Alpert and says that he can do.
Later, with Hurley's help, Richard is finally reunited with his wife, after 150 years. She tells him to stop the Man in Black, or "We all go to Hell." Which is in line with what Jacob told him. Suddenly, Richard is the new hero of the series... I'm glad for it. He's struggled for over a century to serve Jacob. After having so many doubts about this long life of service, it would be great to see it all be worthwhile in the end.

So there you have it.. Thoughts??

19 comments:

Benny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Benny said...

Here is a relevant post from season 4

Benny said...

And ANOTHER ONE. "God loves you as he loved Jacob" Sounds similar to how God loved Satan in the bible before he betrayed him.. but.. its been a long time since I've read the bible, so I could be wrong.

happileah said...

Oh Snap! That was a GOOD episode. They're not really dead, though are they?

What my mind got out of this episode is that the island is the birthplace of "religion". If you think about religion, God(Jacob)doesn't/can't EVER directly tell us what is right or wrong, it's the religions that claim to represent him that do. Isn't the purpose of religion is to keep evil out of your life (I think?!)

Wasn't the Dharma Initiative was started on the island, too? Dharma is the teachings of Buddha.

I noticed quite a few recurring patterns, too. I'll have to take notes next time I watch, so I don't forget.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Bentist!

I do agree and think it was an amazing episode. One thing that drives me nuts are these elaborate "rules" that are on this island that must be followed and we dont know about. You have a "Man in Black" who can turn into smoke. Yes, he turns himself into smoke. And now that Jacob is dead, he cant "smoke his way" off the island?

Watching with E, Trisha, Johnathan and my mom (My quasi devoted Lost Super Group), Jonathan had an interesting theory that I am sure he will talk about as well. Basically it was brought up that Jacob has/had 360 chances to prove that not everyone is "corruptable". I think now we know from the list that there are only 4 left - Jack, Sawyer,Hurley and one Kwon. Once Jacob is dead, the man in black is allowed to leave the island. He can't leave quiet yet (I dont think) until all 360 iterations of Jacob is dead. Because Jacob said someone can replace him and the Man in Black said "I'll just have to kill him too".

One thing I definitely think will happen is that the Man in Black is some character we already know. It cant be a coincidence that we knew Jacob's name from day one but cant even come close to knowing the Man in Black's name. Even last episode when asked who he was he replied "A Friend". Can you be any more evasive than that?

One theory brought up at work (by my other Lost Super Work Group) is that the Man in Black is David - Jack's son. Not a whole lot of "meat" behind this theory other than these 3 things:
1. The afforementioned points on the evasiveness of this characters name
2. We have only been introduced to 1 really new character this season - David and there has to be more than just being Jack's son.
3. He has black hair. And c'mon, black hair is so rare, they have to be the same person, no?

erica said...

Ok so pretty much I will probably say what has already been said but oh well. I think Jacob is "God/good" and the man in black is "Devil/evil". What I was wondering is there was a past episode where they were both sitting on the beach and looking out at a boat. I was trying to figure out whose boat it was. Was it Richard's or Russo's?

I am also thinking that the island is Purgatory (sp?). The dead are there who are stuck in limbo. Maybe the characters on the show are not yet dead but they are in some sort of "coma" and this is where they are for the moment to try and figure out if they actually want to live or if they want to stay in Purgatory (sp?) such as Locke who wants to stay.

I am afraid that the writers are not going to tie all the loose ends into a pretty little bow like I want them to do.

However this last episode brought me back to life. I was loosing interest and finally this was what I needed to peak my interest again. I wish every episode was like that.

Anonymous said...

The only reason I'd disagree with the purgatory angle is because whidmore was able to get there on his super secret submarine. If it was pergatory, how could he just get there? Then again we are talking about a show that has time travel, a smoke monster, some guy watching people through a lighthouse, dead people, a smoke monster, fake plane crashes, people randomly appearing on the island in boxes, fat guy not losing weight while stranded on an island, and oh.. did i mention a smoke monster? So who knows?

Benny said...

We've seen that people can go back and forth between the island and the real world by using specific instructions (Remember Faraday's mom?). Widmore won an auction of the Hanso Journal years back. I'm willing to bet that the journal had instructions on how to reach the island by sea. Jacob probably gave them to Magnus Hanso back in 1867.

Erica, I think the ship was either the Black Rock, or a different ship all together. But Russo's ship was more modern, wasn't it? I think she landed in the 1970s.

Chris, interesting point about them not revealing his name... I think Aaron has a bigger role to play yet too. And has anyone thought that the Kwon candidate could be Jin and Sun's child?

One random thought I just had.. Remember when Ben could summon the smoke monster? How long has he been in league with him?

Anonymous said...

Great point on that journal Widmore got at the auction. I was reading yur link from above (from march 2008) and it was pretty revealing given recent events.

The other thing that I remembered was during last season when we saw all of the flashes back and forth we pretty much assumed that they were traveling back and forth 30 years (through the 1970's) but at one point during a flash the statue was complete and not destroyed from the Black Rock wreckage of 1867. This tells us that last year they flashed back to pre 1867. What does that mean? I have no idea. Anyone else?

Benny said...

Leah... thats a really interesting theory about it being the birthplace of religions. Never thought of that. But the Dharma initiative thing fits perfectly. There are still a ton of loose ends... like why was it cold in the room where the wheel was? And why did it look like it was outdoors?? How is that possible.

Unknown said...

Chris already talked about my theory but going off that when Jacob sent hurley and Jack to the lighthouse to turn the mirrors to 108, they did that to help guide a certain person to the island. If all the people on the wheel are candidates to replace Jacob, then is widmore a forgotten candidate or is someone else coming to the island.

Also I don't think M.I.B. can kill any candidates unless they are corrupted.

So an example of my theory of the 360 replacements for Jacob is the wine bottle. Jacob explained that the cork (Aka the island) keeps the wine/evil in the bottle. But when Jacob give the wine bottle to M.I.B. he doesn't remove the cork and pour out the wine but breaks the bottle which happens to be round and I feel represents the 360 potental replacements for Jacob. And his plan to kill them all.

Unknown said...

Two things I forgot to mention (both of which came from a girl I work with). First she said mentioned that it's funny that the psychic's warning that Claire had to raise her baby herself was for claire's sake. Aaron turned out fine not being raised by his mother but Claire went crazy without him. The other one was if anyone still has the lighthouse episode recorded she thought it could be helpful/interesting to go back and look at all the images that show up in the mirrors as they're being turned.

Benny said...

Where did you guys hear 360? I don't remember that. But if they did say that, that's a great point about the round bottle. I found the way the filmed the breaking of the bottle to be very deliberate. Like there was something more to be taken from that scene. Also.. I agree about the MIB not being able to take people before they've been "corrupted" except, I think he can't take them before they've been "judged" they need a chance to redeem themselves...

Unknown said...

We got the 360 from the degrees of a circle and we took that from the lighthouse episode. It showed the mirrors on a circle with the numbers around it with corresponding names. But that's just our lost groups theory.

runner52 said...

I think the Island is the Garden of Eden and the whole thing started with Adam and Eve. They were the first sinners. Jacob has been trying to prove to the M.I.B. ever since that people will know the difference between right and wrong without him telling them.

Here is some of the story about Adam and Eve and how I relate it to Lost....

In addition to telling them not to eat any fruit that was on this one tree, God allowed one other thing to occur in this setup. He allowed Satan himself to be able to roam in this garden in the form of a serpent

Smoke Monster=Serpent=Satan

Cherubim is a high ranking Angel of God that lives forever that guards the way to the tree of life

Lives forever=Richard

The Garden of Eden was a battle between good and evil.

Need I say anymore?

When Adam and Eve first sinned against God the Father by eating off of the forbidden tree - they not only lost their right to stay in the Garden of Eden, but they also lost their direct spiritual connection to God the Father.

Why? Because sin separates us from God. God’s initial plan was for Adam and Eve not to sin. Once they did, they lost everything good that God had set up for them. They were banished from this perfect garden.

Once they sinned they were banished off the Island like Jacob's 360 people. BTW...There is conclusive evidence to show that the prophetic year of the Bible is composed of 360 days

happileah said...

I think you're right, mom.

In Paradise LOST, a poem based on the book of Genesis, Satan realizeds he can't kill God, but instead will get back at him by getting his 'good' people to do acts of evil.

Satan says that we have the power in our minds to make "Heaven out of Hell " or "Hell out of Heaven".

Which is true in LOST; based on different people's perception of the island. Some think it's heaven and some think it's hell.

I wrote a post on it before, I just can't find it.

Benny said...

wow mom! That's some really good info. Adam and Eve could have been a huge hint that they dropped in the first season.

Leah, i agree that the island is "what you make it" because, while Richard is in hell, Rose and Bernard were in heaven. Maybe they are in heave because they decided to live in harmony with the island.

Vee said...

One thing that struck me about the MIB (as Locke) when he was talking to someone...I think it was Kate, maybe? He said "Yeah I had a crazy mother, too."

Seems like the majority of these people on the island have parents that are really screwed up in some way: Jack, Locke, and Kate especially.

I don't know if that has any ties to what's going on, but I found it interesting that they hinted at the MIB's former humanity.

Benny said...

Here's Leah's earlier post about her Paradise Lost theory... It's still very relevant.

http://whereforartthougilligan.blogspot.com/2008/06/paradise-lost.html